The first commercial synthetic plastic. Developed by John Wesley Hyatt (1837–1920) and his brothers (1869), it was used for early motion picture film. It is a colloidal dispersion of nitrocellulose and camphor. Celluloid is tough, strong resistant to water, oils, and dilute acids, and thermoplastic. It is highly inflammable, and has been largely replaced by other plastics.
Related category• INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTRY
Home • About • Copyright © The Worlds of David Darling • Encyclopedia of Alternative Energy • Contact