Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO) is a research arm of the Smithsonian Institution founded in 1890. Originally located in Washington, D.C., the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1955 and combined with the Harvard College Observatory in 1973 to form the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. The SAO owns and operates the Fred Lawrence Whipple Observatory, jointly owns and operates the Multiple Mirror Telescope, operates the Oak Ridge Observatory (owned by HCO), and is a partner in the Submillimeter Array. It also runs the Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams and the Minor Planet Center.