reducing humidity in the home
Any of the following will help reduce the levels of humidity in your home:
- Install a dehumidifier compatible
with the size and conditions of the room in which it will be used. A
basement dehumidifier can reduce humidity around the entire house.
- Improving the drainage around the foundation of your home may result
in decreased humidity in your basement. Some ways to improve drainage
- Extend downspouts from your gutters away from the foundation of
- Keep gutters and downspouts clear and open
- Ensure that the soil slopes away from your foundation, to avoid
pooling of water around your home
- Avoid over-watering of foundation plantings
- Ensure that clothes dryers are properly vented to the outdoors. If
you don't use a clothes dryer, dry your clothes outdoors as opposed
to hanging them inside for drying.
- Use vent fans in bathrooms and kitchens to remove humidity at the
- Repair leaking outdoor faucets. Not only will this help reduce humidity,
but it will also save you money on your water bills!
- If your home uses central
air conditioning, consider installing an A/C vent in the humid space
in your home and take advantage of the dehumidifying capabilities of
your A/C system. This will also help with air circulation, improving
airflow between humid parts of your home and drier parts.
AND MOISTURE CONTROL