Gog and Magog
Gog and Magog were two legendary British giants, supposed to be the last of the offspring of certain wicked daughters of the Emperor Diocletian and a band of demons. Gog and Magog, the story goes, were brought captive to the London palace of Brute, and there kept in chains. Effigies of these giants existed in the Guildhall prior, and were destroyed in, the Great Fire of London. A fresh pair, 14 feet high, were carved by Richard Saunders in 1708, and it was for a long time the custom to carry them around in the Lord Mayor's procession. They were destroyed by incendiary bombs in the air-raids of the World War II.