The first permanent mountain-top observatory, established in 1888 at an
altitude of 1,283 meters (4,169 feet) above sea-level on Mount Hamiliton
in California, with financial backing from James Lick of San Francisco.
It houses a 91-centimeter (36-inch) refractor, the second largest in the
world after that at Yerkes Observatory. This
instrument was used extensively at the turn of the century in the investigation
of Mars. Other instruments include a 3-meter
(120-inch) reflector and the 0.9-meter (36-inch) Crossley reflector. The
observatory is run by the University of California at Santa Cruz.