Kapitza, Peter Leonidovich (1894–1984)
Kapitza was in Kronshtadt and educated at the Petrograd Polytechnic Institute, at which for two tears he taught for electrical engineering. In 1921 he went to England to study at the University of Cambridge, and soon after, he became an assistant to Ernest Rutherford, the director of magnetic research at the Cavendish Laboratory. Kapitza returned to the USSR in 1934 to attend a scientific conference and was refused permission to leave. He then organized the Institute for Physical Problems of the USSR Academy of Sciences, which he headed until 1946; he was reinstated two years after Stalin's death in 1953.
Related category• PHYSICISTS
Home • About • Copyright © The Worlds of David Darling • Encyclopedia of Alternative Energy • Contact