Royal Greenwich Observatory
The RGO was first sited at Greenwich, southeast London, on what became known as the Greenwich meridian (the international zero of longitude). The original Greenwich building, now known as Flamsteed House and run as an astronomical museum, was designed by Christopher Wren. In 1958 the Observatory moved to the castle at Herstmonceux, Sussex. From the outset, directorship of the Observatory entailed appointment as Astronomer Royal. In its 323-year history, the RGO maintained a tradition of high-precision astrometry of planets and satellites and was always at the forefront of technology and observational techniques.
In the 1980s the Observatory lost its primary national status with the completion of the Northern Hemisphere Observatory in Las Palmas, the Canary Islands. In 1990 the RGO moved again, to Cambridge, before being closed on Oct. 31, 1998, by the UK Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council.
The Time BallThe bright red Time Ball on top of Flamsteed House (the original RGO building) is one of the world's earliest public time signals, distributing time to ships on the Thames and many Londoners. It was first used in 1833 and still operates today.
Related category OBSERVATORIES AND TELESCOPES
Home • About • Copyright © The Worlds of David Darling • Encyclopedia of Alternative Energy • Contact